Ever since I've first got my own personal domain as http://nunobrito.eu some years ago it became possible to use my official email address as email@example.com
Instead of having several mailboxes I've decided to concentrate them all at my gmail account using email redirection.
It's simple, worked well.
However, the server where my domain is hosted would often become offline for several days in a row due to the sheer amount of people trying to access the other services hosted there.
This brought me for the first time to a fragile situation because I would no longer be receiving emails while the server remained offline.
I've devised a manner to provide email robustness at no extra costs and without requiring a server.
It's very simple.
- The first step is registering your domain with goddady. If you've already registered with their service then it's fine, otherwise I'd seriously recommend moving to this particular registrar.
- Then register for google apps standard edition: http://www.google.com/apps/intl/en/group/index.html
Input your domain as the domain that will host the apps, don't worry because this won't mix with your site in case you already have it developed.
- After registering your domain with google apps, look on this page regarding how to configure the mx records at godaddy: http://www.google.com/support/a/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=33353
But my favorite part is this automatic tool to do it quickly: https://www.godaddy.com/gdshop/google/gmail_login.asp
The above link will automatically configure your domain to use gmail as the mail service.
- At this point the email is handled by google apps, let's manage your site:
https://www.google.com/a/cpanel/example.com (change example.com with your domain)
- After login, click on "Email"
- Click on "Change URL" and select the URL that is hosted by google so that you don't need to use your own domain to log onto the webmail service.
- Click "Email addresses" and then add a user.
- Select a user listed there and add "nicknames" to the user. This means the possible email addresses that will be used to route the messages.
- Log onto the webmail service and set the routing of all messages onto anywhere you want, just like you would do with a normal gmail account.
You are now routing all your messages sent to your official email address onto anywhere else you need.
Now my official email is robust and no longer depending on any server.